Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Distracted

It's been over two weeks since my last post. I had planned to try out Dragon Rampant in those two weeks, but other things keep intruding.

Repairs
Things have been breaking around the house, requiring some time to fix them.

  • I finally got around to fixing the fence that was damaged during Hurricane Irma
  • My car needed some work so I had to take it into the shop
  • Ours sliding glass door wasn't sliding properly. We could barely open it. This was a dire emergency because the cats insist on using the patio. I had to arrange for a repair man to come out. Good news - crisis averted and the cats can now sun themselves at their leisure
LARP
My medieval/fantasy live action role playing group has decided to do a feast in early March. I am currently doing some recipe research and experimentation.

My main source has been this book, the official Game of Thrones cookbook:

Some of the recipes are more medieval-ish rather than historically accurate. But that's OK, because my group does fantasy rather than living history.

Anyway, tried out the Tyroshi Honeyfingers yesterday and they were excellent! Can't wait to serve them at the feast! By the way, some recipes can be found at the Inn at the Crossroads.

I spent last Saturday at Triune Shores, the West Palm Beach group. Some good fighting, but of course that meant no gaming.

Sci Fi Skirmish
A couple of weeks ago I did have a spare moment for a game, but I was hit with a bout of GADD (gamer's attention deficit disorder). I had an urge to play a sci fi skirmish game but I did not want to use my rules. My latest iteration uses a die pool mechanism. The combat mechanisms work fine, but I would like it to be more RPG-like and allow for character advancement. I feel that most die pool games have very limited advancement opportunities. So I began to investigate sci fi skirmish / light RPG rules.

I started with Rogue Stars by Osprey.


I purchased it when it first came out but was disappointed. My latest perusal did nothing to dispel that disappointment. I don't like that it used d20 and I find character creation to be too fiddly and detailed.

I didn't have much luck with my search, and then other distractions put my investigation on hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment