Sunday, December 17, 2017

Jaded

With miniatures, that is.

I know that I once posted about why I like miniatures. Done well, they just look fantastic. Problem is, I cannot do them well. I am an indifferent painter, so my quality suffers and I take a long time. I tried compensating with smaller scale minis (2mm and 3mm) but in my opinion they don't photograph all that well. As a result, I have not been particularly satisfied with my miniature efforts.

Recently, I started experimenting with block armies and have found it surprisingly satisfying. As a result, I built up several block armies (red, blue, white, green, gray, black, brown, and purple). Playing games with these blocks gives me the same visceral feel as miniatures. I'm rolling dice and pushing troops across the board. Furthermore, I find it far more practical, I don't have to make a new army or new terrain if I want to try a different period.

With my block armies I'm set for large battles, but I still don't have a set up for my role playing games. I am thinking of creating some counters using some paper mini files I have picked up. For example, here are two that I use for my Four Against Darkness characters Khamen and Candorra.
The upshot of all this musing is that I'll probably be posting more games with counters and fewer with miniatures in 2018. I apologize if this is less satisfying for readers, but I have to go with what works best for me.

2 comments:

  1. The games with blocks are working very well and are as you say practical and give way more options for period and troop type than figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have been very pleased with them so far. I am still toying with the idea of minis - I may choose 1-2 low volume projects.

    ReplyDelete