Sunday, November 5, 2017

Vampire Hunter

As I mentioned earlier this week, I have been working on a vampire hunting board game. Here is the latest prototype, with map and cards printed on card stock. Soda bottle tops and pennies serve as markers.


The goal of the game is to destroy Dracula. First, you must search for clues (the coins) to his whereabouts. Once you discover his lair, you confront him in epic combat. Along the way, you may encounter Dracula's minions, but may also pick up some useful equipment.

Overall, it has potential, although I think I need to tweak a few areas. Some positives:

  • It is easy to set up - just a board, counters for the players, and 2 decks of cards
  • Game length is short - less than an hour
  • There are some decisions to make - which actions to take each turn, what equipment to use
  • It involves dice-rolling
Some areas of improvement include:
  • Make it a little harder to find Dracula
  • Streamline combat a little bit?
  • Make it easier to heal
Anyway, my wife and I played last night. She was having success finding clues while I kept running into Dracula's minions. I piggybacked on her clues, however, and managed to track down Dracula on multiple occasions. I had worn him down and managed to attack him. With 6 dice, needing to roll 4 or better, here is what I rolled:


I had him! Or so I thought, until he successfully defended.

Later, I had him on the ropes once again but only rolled 2 successes on 6 dice. To survive, Dracula needed to tie my 2 successes, but he had 8 dice. The Dice Fates made up for my previous stroke of ill luck with this roll by Dracula:


 I had defeated the vampire lord!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a cut-down version of GW's 'Fury of Dracula' from the 1980s :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, that was the intent. I saw FoD 3rd Edition on Tabletop but I did not like the 2-3 hour play time

    ReplyDelete